Who We Are
Gilbert Supporters of the Gifted (GSG) is an informal non-profit parent-educator support organization. GSG is affiliated both with Gilbert Public Schools and the Arizona Association for Gifted and Talented.
Gilbert Supporters of the Gifted was founded in 2010 by Stephanie Newitt and Jill Humpherys. They met when their daughters became friends in junior high. As parents of gifted children they realized that gifted children are intense in their processing of life's experiences. They recognized a need for parents to come together to discuss the genuine needs of gifted children and to learn how to advocate for these needs in a positive way. They formed GSG to provide support to parents and educators of gifted children, letting these individuals know that they are not alone and that there are many helpful resources available.
Our Advocacy Impact
Gilbert Supporters of the Gifted has made a positive impact on gifted education programming in Gilbert Public Schools. We invite you to get involved and partner with us in making a difference.
- In 2010 GSG wrote by-laws and affiliated with Gilbert Public Schools (GPS).
- In 2011 GSG affiliated with the Arizona Association for Gifted and Talented (AAGT) and also began its membership in the GPS Parent-Superintendent Council.
- Fall 2012 - Stephanie and Jill served as members of the GPS Gifted Vision Committee.
- Was invited to write an article on giftedness for the local paper. See East Valley Tribune article.
- Decemeber of 2012 Jill began her elected position as a member of the Gilbert Public Schools Governing Board, leaving GSG but continuing her advocacy for gifted students at the board level.
- GSG continued with follow-up on the goals of the GPS Gifted Vision Committee and in the fall of 2013 GPS opened its first self-contained gifted classes for 4th and 5th graders. See article in the Arizona Republic.
- GSG advocated with GPS for the need to have a Gifted Education Parent Council. GPS formed the GEPC in the fall of 2013.
- Fall 2014 - GSG had representation on the Parent Superintendent Committee which contributed to the district's Strategic Operating Plan.
- Spring 2015 - The district announced regionalization of its pull-out gifted services, and GSG provided -
- A guest lecture to empower parents in navigating the new program choices. See presentation summary on our blog.
- To the GEPC questions and tips with which they created a flier to empower families in determining the best program choice for their child. The flier can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the GEPC webpage.
- Fall 2015 -
- GSG began representation on the GPS Junior High Gifted Program Committee.
- GSG raised enough funds through parent donations to provide a scholarship for a GPS teacher to attend the 2015 National Association for Gifted Children's annual conference, held in Phoenix that year.
- Spring 2016 - GSG worked with AAGT and East Valley parents to advocate for gifted education funding at the state level. See this op-ed article from the Arizona Republic.
- Fall 2016 -
- GSG Continued with representation on the GPS Junior High Gifted Program Committee.
- GSG Continued with representation and as a mentor on the GEPC.
- Spring 2017 -
- GSG spoke out at school board meetings in favor of the proposed junior high gifted program. In February the board voted 5-0 in favor of the program to start Fall 2017. Named by students, click here to learn more about the new Gifted Talented and Creative Program (GTC).
- GSG worked with AAGT regarding legislative action at the state level to reinstall gifted education funding. The bill cleared the Arizona House of Representatives but was stalled in the Senate.
- Fall 2017 - Stephanie Newitt was recognized at the annual AAGT Parent Institute with a "Friend of the Gifted" award for her parent education and advocacy efforts.
If you like the services that Gilbert Supporters of the Gifted provides, consider making a *donation of your choice to assist us in our advocacy efforts. We recommend an annual family donation of $20. Donations support:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
*Gilbert Supporters of the Gifted is an informal non-profit and donations are not tax-deductible.
Donate with Pay Pal